How To Make Sugar Cookies Recipe Step
Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line baking sheets with parchment paper or a nonstick baking mat, such as a silicone mat.
Cream together room temperature butter and sugar with a stand mixer or hand mixer in a large bowl, until light and fluffy . Then add egg and mix until well combined. Scrape down sides of mixing bowl to be sure butter and sugar are well combined. But be sure to not over-beat the butter and sugar when creaming it together. Doing so could cause the cookies to rise and fall flat when baking.
Stir in flour, baking powder and salt and combine these dry ingredients into the mixture. Then gently stir in vanilla extract into the cookie dough.
Scoop cookie dough with a tablespoon and roll into a ball. Be sure to not over handle the balls of dough as will make butter too warm. If the dough seems too warm or sticky, chill in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes, then proceed with scooping and rolling into balls.
Add sugar to a large separate bowl for rolling. Lightly roll cookie dough balls in the granulated sugar to coat them. This adds a sparkly touch that lends a crisp little coating on the cookie once it is baked. While you can certainly skip this little step, I highly recommend that you not. It is so worth it!
Place each rolled cookie dough ball onto a parchment lined or silicone mat lined cookie sheet, about 1 ½ to 2 inches apart. Make sure to provide ample spacing between each cookie for best results.
Lightly press each cookie down with finger.
How Can I Flavor Sugar Cookies
To flavor cookie dough, you can use extracts, flavorings, baking emulsions, spices, citrus zest, or herbs.
- Its no secret Vanilla makes everything taste better. Thats why I always use Vanilla Extract as my base flavor. After that, you can add other flavorings.
- If using Lorann oil-based flavorings, use only 5-7 drops. They are very concentrated.
- Lemon, Orange, Lime Zest If using zest, add 1 tablespoon per batch of this recipe.
- Spices I love using cinnamon or cardamom. My friend Sweet Ambs uses cardamom and orange in her cookie recipe.
Along with Vanilla Extract, I like adding almond and lemon extracts. And I have to say I came fond of this magic trio: Vanilla , Almond , and Lemon . It makes for a lovely flavor.
How To Store Sugar Cookies
You can extend the life of your cookies by storing them in an airtight container or bag at room temperature. You can also freeze them for several months. Wrap them in plastic wrap, then aluminum foil, and freeze until ready to eat. When you defrost them, the moisture may cause the sprinkles to bleed a bitbut theyll still taste delicious!
If youre not ready to bake right away, you can also freeze the raw cookie dough. Wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and place in a freezer bag. Stored this way, sugar cookie dough will keep for several months. When youre ready to bake, place the dough in the fridge to defrost, which should take about 24 hours.
Lets go cookie crazy! Share a picture of your cookies on Instagram, Facebook or Twitter and tag us @wiltoncakes so we can see! Happy baking!
Looking for more delicious sugar cookie recipes? Check these out:
Recommended Reading: Is 74 Low Blood Sugar
How To Tell When Cookies Are Done
Bake your cookies for 15 to 17 minutes, or until they are semi-firm to the touch. Sometimes knowing when your cookies are done baking is tricky. This takes practice and some bonding time with your oven to find that sweet spot.
If you prefer your cookies on the softer side, stay on the lower end of the baking time. If you like crispy cookies, bake until you see them turning slightly golden on the edges.
Remove the cookies from the oven and allow to cool on the sheet on a cooling grid for about 2 minutes.
This allows the cookies to settle and finish baking. The cookies will firm up as they cool, making them easier to transfer to a cooling grid to cool completely.
Made With Royal Icing Its Easier Than Youd Think
The icing really wasnt hard to make thanks to Annies wonderful tutorial . Before I reading that tutorial I didnt even know what flood icing was.
These cookies are so delicious and are also so fun to make. Some of you may know by know how I love art and I love food so these cookies are made for me. I loved how I got to make each cookie unique just as you will never find an identical snowflake.
I dont know why I was so harsh on iced sugar cookies in the past. They are basically a soft shortbread cookie with a sugary icing. How could that not be good?
They reminded me of how I want to re-create one of my favorite cookies from my childhood, those Keebler pink iced animal cookies with their delicious nutmeg flavor. These taste nothing like those, these are far better they were just a fun reminder for some reason.
How To Store Edible Cookie Dough
Hopefully, you have enough willpower not to eat this all in one sitting. The leftover raw dough should be sealed in an airtight container in your refrigerator and should be enjoyed within a week.
Alternatively, this is a great treat to make in advance and freeze. To do so, simply make this easy edible cookie dough recipe as written and then cover them in plastic wrap and place them in a sealed container in the freezer.
Why Is This The Best Sugar Cookie Recipe
The dough comes together quickly with simple pantry ingredients.
It does NOT need to be chilled.
The recipe can be doubled easily.
Cookies hold their shape with very little expanding when baked.
Baked cookies freeze well.
The recipe I am giving you makes a large batch of dough because I like to bake many cookies. Also, I like to roll and cut my cookies fairly thickto hold a lot of frosting.
Incorporating the last cup of flour may look dry and look crumbly. Turn out the dough onto your countertop and work with wet hands and/or more flour until the dough is smooth and ready to roll.
Don’t Miss: Is 228 Blood Sugar High
Baking Soda + Baking Powder
Sugar cookies can easily turn out dry or too cakey. In all my testing, I found that my favorite sugar cookies were ones that used a combination of baking soda and baking powder and just a bit more soda than powder.
There is nothing wrong with using just one or the other I have done both in other cookies. In fact, I have an all baking soda Coconut Sugar Cookie that is delicious!
But for the straight-up vanilla bakery-style sugar cookie, the combo works best. Baking powder only = thicker and cake-y. Baking soda only = chewy and thin. A combo = just right.
How To Make Soft Sugar Cookies
You’ll find the full, step-by-step recipe below but here’s a brief overview of what you can expect when you make these super soft sugar cookies:
1. Beat the wet ingredients together.2. In a separate bowl, mix the dry ingredients.3. Gradually add the dry mixture to the wet mixture and stir to combine.4. Roll the dough into balls and roll in decorating sugar .5. Bake until the cookies are light brown on the bottom.
Recommended Reading: How Much Sugar Level Is Normal
Can I Make This Sweet Treat For Other Holidays
You can easily make this sugar cookie fudge for any holiday you like. Just use themed sprinkles that will suit the theme you are going for!
Add in some holiday sprinkles for things like Valentines Day, St. Patricks, Easter, or even Fall / Thanksgiving. Theres no wrong answer here.
Its also fun to make this one for parties and celebrations. You can use rainbow sprinkles, mermaid sprinkles, or even fireworks sprinkles to match whatever party you are throwing or attending. The possibilities are endless and the sugar cookies provide a nice base thats delicious all year long.
The Best Cut Out Sugar Cookie Recipe
Posted by Katie | Nov 29, 2021
If youre wondering how to make homemade sugar cookies for your next upcoming party or celebration, youve come to the right place! From the tools you need to get started to some helpful projects to try for birthdays and holidays, this guide will help you learn everything you need to know so that you can cross grocery store sugar cookies off your shopping list for good!
Also Check: What Happens When You Stop Eating Sugar
What You Need To Make Edible Cookie Dough
- All Purpose Flour While you can make this edible cookie dough recipe with raw flour, many people prefer to heat the flour before eating. Read below for more details! You can also use oat flour or almond flour.
- Salt To balance out the sweetness in the dough and bring out all of the other flavors.
- Unsalted Butter Softened to room temperature. If youre using salted butter, omit the salt in this recipe. You can learn more about salted vs unsalted butter here.
- Cream Cheese Softened and packedwe want all the goodness in there without the lumps!
- Sugar White granulated to sweeten the dough.
- Brown Sugar Light or dark, your preference, packed.
- Vanilla Extract Use the real vanilla extract if you can, imitation vanilla just isnt quite the same!
- Chocolate Chips Semi-Sweet is perfect for classic chocolate chip cookie dough flavor but you can use milk or dark chocolate chips or chunks as well.
Dont Miss: What Can You Take To Stop Sugar Cravings
How To Store And Freeze Sugar Cookies
- Counter: Store these cookies on the counter in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
- Fridge: If you want to extend their shelf life, you can pop the container in the fridge. The cookies will keep in the fridge for up to 7 days.
- Freezer: These cookies freeze nicely too! Just let the baked cookies come to room temperature, then pack them in a ziplock bag and freeze them. Thaw them in the fridge or on the counter when youre ready to eat them.
Also Check: How Often Do Diabetics Check Their Blood Sugar
Sugar Cookie Fudge Recipe
This sugar cookie fudge recipe is not just easy its also delicious and festive. Its perfect for sharing with your cookie platters this holiday season!
Fudge is a classic holiday treat. What could be more festive than sugar cookies combined with fudge?! Nothing!
Its really easy to make this tasty fudge and it looks great on all your holiday dessert tables. You can enjoy making and sharing this delightful sweet treat all year long.
This post contains links to products I like and think will be useful to you. If you click through and make a purchase I make a small commission at no cost to you!
I love to make holiday fudge recipes. Ive shared others like my Peppermint Fudge Recipe, Gingerbread Fudge, Christmas Fudge Recipe, and Candy Cane Fudge which are all great options for sharing festive treats in the form of sugary goodness.
Theres nothing quite like fudge when it comes to sweets. Its the perfect balance of creamy, sweet, and indulgent. Everyone loves to snag a piece of this delectable sugar cookie fudge recipe when I make it, give it a try!
How To Make The Best Sugar Cookie Recipe
Ingredients for the perfect sugar cookie recipe:
- All-purpose flour make sure to weigh your flour accurately. If you add too much flour, your cookies wont spread at all!
- Baking powder this gives the cookies lift without adding too much spread or browning.
- Fine sea salt so important to balance the sweetness!
- Unsalted butter its important that your butter is at a cool room temperature, otherwise your cookies may spread.
- Granulated sugar the star ingredient!
- Eggs one whole egg with an extra egg yolk lends richness and chewiness to the texture, just make sure theyre at room temperature.
- Vanilla extract no sugar cookie recipe is complete without vanilla extract.
How to make SOFT sugar cookies:
The extra egg yolk helps to add more moisture and richness for a soft and chewy texture. The other trick is found in the size of the dough ball. a whole 3 tablespoons in each!
This creates larger cookies that spread out perfectly with ultra-soft centers. Whatever you do, dont overbake your cookies. They should still look ever so slightly wet in the center when you pull them from the oven.
Why did my sugar cookies spread?
To prevent flat sugar cookies that spread into little puddles, its important to make sure your butter is at a COOL room temperature.
Your sticks of butter should give slightly when pressed with your finger but still hold their shape. To be precise, your butter should be 67°F.
How to get a crinkly top in cookies:
Why use a cookie scoop?
Also Check: Will Sugar Raise Blood Pressure
Can You Freeze Sugar Cookie Dough
Yes, you can freeze cookie dough. Simply form the dough into a ball, then wrap it tightly in plastic wrap. Place it in an airtight container and freeze for up to 3 months.
When youre ready to roll and bake your dough, let it thaw completely in the fridge overnight. Bring it to room temperature, then roll, cut and bake.
Why Youll Love This Easy Sugar Cookie Recipe:
- My recipe yields cookies that absolutely do not spread in the oven, so you have perfectly defined shapes and clear cookie-cutter edges.
- These sugar cookies have a soft interior texture with a classic, buttery flavor .
- Recipe includes instructions to easily customize the cookies depending on whether you prefer thicker and softer or thinner and crispier sugar cookies.
- Includes a simple, shiny, and absolutely foolproof sugar cookie icing that you are going to love. While royal icing certainly has its place I generally prefer this oh-so-easy frosting instead.
Read Also: What Is The Range Of Sugar Level
How To Make This Recipe For Sugar Cookies
How To Stop Your Cookies From Spreading In The Oven
- Add cornstarch to the dry ingredients. I would recommend starting with a tablespoon of cornstarch per cup of flour. See how you like the consistency and adjust from there.
- For cookies that spread less avoid using leavening agents like baking soda and baking powder. Your cookie will be a bit more dense but it will not puff up in the oven nearly as much.
- For a recipe like this the chill time is only there to let you handle the dough without marring the surface of the cookies. Its not about how they spread in the oven. Recipes without cornstarch may need hours of chill time for the dough to fully set up.
Don’t Miss: What Is The Best Blood Sugar Level
White Sugar + Brown Sugar
The other big thing here is the sugar. Naturally a sugar cookie is going to use white granulated sugar. Its just how it is. But part of what makes a cookie chewy is a high moisture content.
Brown sugar has more moisture than white sugar, because it contains a little bit of molasses. You dont want to overdo the brown sugar here, but I swapped out two tablespoons of white sugar for brown sugar and the result was fantastic. It makes a much softer and chewier cookie that stays fresh longer.
And just a little tidbit about baking cookies its amazing how much of a difference such a small change can make to a cookie. Just two tablespoons! When I used all white sugar, the cookies didnt spread as much . When I used just a bit of brown sugar, they spread just enough AND stayed soft for DAYS! And when I used just a bit more brown sugar, the flavor started to get a bit too off track and they spread more than I wanted, leaving me with a little thinner cookie with less defined edges. So I totally suggest sticking with it as I have it. The best!
Coconut Macaroon Recipe Tips
When done right a coconut macaroon is moist, light, and chewy. When dont wrong, theyre dry and crumbly.
- Sweetened coconut flakes are needed for Macaroons. Unsweetened wont cut it, sorry!
- Pulse the coconut in a food processor a few times. This helps break down the flakes and create a more compact cookie.
- Make sure you only use egg whites. No remnants of egg yolks at all! Egg whites are important in this recipe they add moisture to the macaroons and provide structure.
- Bowls used for the egg whites should be completely clean, dry, and residue-free. Otherwise the egg whites might not reach stiff peaks.
- Whip those egg whites to stiff peaks. If the egg whites are not beaten until stiff, the macaroons will be runny.
- You need sweetened condensed milk for this recipe. Sweetened condensed milk and evaporated milk are not the same thing dont try and substitute or youll have a soupy mess.
- Use the proper amount of sweetened condensed milk. You will need 3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons for this recipe, not a full cup.
- Use a cookie scoop. This helps with uniformity and ensures that all the cookies bake at the same rate.
- Pack the mixture in the cookie scoop. This will give you a tighter cookie.
- Line your baking sheets with parchment paper, not wax paper. The macaroons will stick to wax paper.
- Avoid over-baking, or youll end up with dry, crumbly cookies.
Recommended Reading: How To Lower Blood Sugar Levels Without Medication