The Best Frosting For Sugar Cookies
Let your cookies cool and then they are ready for frosting. We use our Best Buttercream Frosting recipe with these Best Sugar Cookies. The frosting is easy to color and tastes so delicious and yummy on these Sugar Cookies. You will have all the tips and tricks to make this yummy homemade sugar cookie frosting right here.
Why Do My Sugar Cookies Spread And Lose Their Shape
How Do You Keep Cookie Dough From Sticking To The Rolling Pin
Before rolling, youll want to use your hands to evenly coat the rolling pin with flour. If your dough is sticky, youll also want to sprinkle a bit of flour on top of the dough before rolling.
Use the photo guides in this post to see how much flour is necessary, as you dont want to use too much flour or your dough will become dry and crumbly.
Don’t Miss: How To Lower Morning Blood Sugar
Sugar Cookie Tips & Tools
Before I leave you with the recipe, let me suggest some useful sugar cookie tools:
- Cookie Sheets
- Rolling Pin
- Food Coloring: Liquid food coloring can alter the consistency of the icing, so I recommend gel food coloring. For the pictured cookies, I used a few drops of dusty rose and 1 drop of sky blue.
- Piping Tips/Squeeze Bottle: If youre using royal icing, I recommend Wilton piping tip #4 for outlining and flooding. This is a wonderful basic piping tip to have in your collection. If youre using my easy glaze icing, I recommend using a squeeze bottle.
- Piping Bag: If youre using royal icing and a piping tip, you need a disposable piping bag or reusable piping bag.
Freeze Dough Before Rolling
Great for when:You want to get the prep work out of the way, so that you can cut out and bake the cookies on another day. Perfect for holiday baking days with the kids, as they can just help with the full part of cutting them out and baking.
How to Freeze Dough Before Rolling:
5. Place bag of dough on baking tray and place in the freezer for 2-3 hours until firm and frozen.6. Once firm, you can remove the bag from the baking tray and store the bag upright in the freezer wherever it fits.
Freeze up to 1 month. When ready to bake, remove dough from freezer and allow to thaw at room temperature inside the bag. When thawed, use a rolling pin to roll to desired thickness, cut into shapes, then bake. With the initial roll-out, you shouldnt need to re-knead or roll the disc since you already did that before baking. Learn how to roll out sugar cookies to prevent spreading.
You May Like: When Should I Go To Hospital For High Blood Sugar
Best Edible Cookie Dough Recipe
Forget every other dessert Ive ever recommend you make because this is the only one that really matters. Okay Im kidding but honestly cookie dough is one of the best treats ever, right?
Ive always had to sneak a taste of every batch of cookies before baking but this way is definitely the safer option.
The great thing about these recipes are that just about anyone could make it. No baking skills required! Sure cooking the flour adds an annoying step but its worth the peace of mind especially when you are serving it to someone else.
Since I love cookie dough so much Ive decided to share THREE incredibly delicious flavors that will tempt everyone and anyone, trust me no one can resist young and old alike!
Heres the flavors you can choose from:
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough
How To Make Soft Sugar Cookies
So one of the best parts of these cookies is that they are quick and straight forward to make.
- Start by creaming the butter and sugars together until its light in color and fluffy. Youll actually be able to see the lighter color, so dont quit mixing until you see it.
- Next youll add the egg, then the vanilla extract.
- Now add the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- Mix it until its all combined, but dont over mix it. Over mixing any batter or dough can lead to toughness.
- Divide the cookie dough into 1 1/2 inch balls of dough and roll them in a little bit of granulated white sugar. Place the balls onto a cookie sheet and bake them!
Also Check: How Much Sugar Is In Jim Beam Honey
Variation : Jelly Sandwich Cookies
Taste of Home
To make these jelly-filled cookies, break out two cups of basic cookie dough. Then roll out the dough onto a floured surfaceabout an eighth-inch thick is just right. Cut out rounds with a cookie cutter . Next, cut out the center of half of your cookie dough circles with a small cookie cutter. We used a star here, but use any shape you like.
The next step is filling the cookies. Use any jam or jelly you like this is a great opportunity to break out your favorite homemade jam. Place a teaspoon of jam on the base layer of each cookie. Then layer over the cutout cookie round on top. Seal the edges with a fork.
Editor tip: If youre having trouble sealing the cookies, we the edge of the cookie dough and then layer on the top cookie dough round and crimp shut. The water will help the two layers stick.
All thats left to do is bake the cookies. 10 to 12 minutes in a 375ºF oven will do it. Once baked, remove them from your cookie sheet and let them cool on a wire rack.
Common Questions About Making Edible Cookie Dough
Is it safe to eat cookie dough?
If there is raw eggs or raw flour, technically no. While all of us have definitely had our fair share of cookie dough right off the spatula, raw eggs and flour are a no-no. Now that being said, it is up to you how concerned you are about raw flour but it is a raw food and there could be bacteria in it.
How do I bake flour?
If you are concerned about any bacteria in flour, preheat oven to 350°F, spread flour in a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil, and bake for 5 minutes. Its a super easy process.
What other flavors of edible cookie dough can I make?
There are so many options! Some of my favorite types of cookie dough include
- Chocolate Chip
Recommended Reading: Is There Sugar Free Orange Juice
What Thickness Is Best For Cut Out Cookies
I researched sugar cookies for quite a while before landing on todays recipe and method. One of the things I learned is that it doesnt matter how great your sugar cookie recipe is, the rolling technique is where most people go wrong.
This is 3/8 inch. Thiiiiick.
To get a THICK, soft sugar cookie, the dough needs to be rolled out, you guess it, MEGA THICK. We are talking about of an inch, and yes Ive provided an actual measuring tape for all you people like me who have a hard time with the maths. You can see in the picture on the left about how thick this is compared to my fingers.
Supplies For How To Color Cookie Dough:
Sugar Cookie RecipeFood Gel Colors-I prefer AmeriColor and Wilton but you can use what you are comfortable with. Just make sure not to use a liquid color like you buy at the grocery stores. It will mess with the consistency of your dough.Food Safe Gloves-or else you will have rainbow hands like I have most of the time.
Start by making the cookie dough. I like to divide my and only add color the amount of dough I need. It may be a little hard to guess how much so I suggest making more than you think because you can always make extra cookies. It will be hard to match the exact color once you run out.
Begin my mixing the dough with the food gel color. It may take more gel than you think or it may not. Usually in post and recipes I say add a little at a time, but if you do that you may over work your dough. We all know that over working or mixing your dough can cause it to spread when baking.
Keep in mind I do not have professional training. I am self taught and do things over and over until I see what works and what doesnt. With that said, brown and darker colors are a little harder to mix so I add a little more color than I think I need so hopefully it will work out the first time. It seldom does though. Keep adding and mixing until you get the color you want. You can always use a chocolate roll out cookie recipe but the person I was making these for didnt want chocolate. Who doesnt like chocolate! RIGHT!?
More way to make Color Cookie Dough cookies:
You May Like: How Can I Lower Blood Sugar
What Makes This Recipe The Best
- The flavor is buttery and delicious
- The dough doesnt need to be chilled before rolling and cutting out shapes, and they hold crisp edges when baked, so theyre great for all cookie cutters! The edges are crisp and sweet, and the centers are soft and chewy.
Have I convinced you yet? Once you try my recipe, youll agree that these are the best sugar cookies ever!
How To Make Flourless Cookies
These cookies are very simple and only require a few steps. Heres a summary:
Don’t Miss: What Happens When You Have High Blood Sugar
A Gluten Free Cookie Recipe
Looking for a gluten free cookie that still tastes like dessert? Look no further! These Flourless Chocolate Cookies are fantastic!
Theres plenty of rich chocolate and sweet powdered sugar to mask the absence of flour if you gave these to someone and didnt tell them, they probably wouldnt even know. Theyre like a flat brownie!
I Chilled Cookie Dough But Now Its Hard As A Rock
After cookie dough is chilled it often become firm.
- There is no need to panic.
- Cut the cookie dough disk into quarters.
- Microwave one ¼ of cookie dough on high for 5-7 seconds. It should be sufficient to soften the dough so you can roll it out. However, you dont want it to be super soft.
- Cut up remaining quarters into smaller bits.
- Place softened/microwaved 1/4 of the cookie dough onto the work surface, between 2 rolling guides. Place rolling pin on top of the rolling guides and roll out the cookie dough. Cut out cookies and transfer them onto a light colored baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Gather scraps and add one piece of chilled dough you set aside, re-roll and repeat.
Also Check: How To Measure Your Blood Sugar
Variation : Cutout Cookies
Taste of Home
The last variation of this cookie dough is the simplest. You dont need to modify the basic cookie dough at all.
Instead, roll out the chilled cookie dough until its about an eighth of an inch thick and cut out using your favorite cookie cutters. Here are some of our favorite holiday cutters and a few tips on how to repurpose the shapes you already have in your kitchen. Bake these at 375ºF for 10 to 12 minutes.
Once theyre cooled, you can frost however you like. If youre tight on time, feel free to use canned frosting. If youre looking for a more professional finish, try your hands at these royal icing techniques.
Taste of Home
This simple cookie dough is the perfect way to kick off your holiday baking. We love it because its a great recipe for making in advance and stashing in the freezer . And with minimal effort, you can transform this dough into five very different cookies. No one would know this gorgeous platter of cookies all started with one basic mix. Want to try even more cookies? Our easy cookie recipes will broaden your recipe repertoire!
Learn more about the different types of cookies!
Baking Soda + Baking Powder
Sugar cookies can easily turn out dry or too cakey. In all my testing, I found that my favorite sugar cookies were ones that used a combination of baking soda and baking powder and just a bit more soda than powder. Nothing wrong with using just one or the other I have done both in other cookies. In fact, I have an all baking soda Coconut Sugar Cookie that is delicious! But for the straight up vanilla bakery-style sugar cookie, the combo works best. Baking powder only = thicker and cake-y. Baking soda only = chewy and thin. A combo = just right.
You May Like: Is 134 Blood Sugar High
How Long Does Sugar Cookie Dough Last In The Fridge
In this brief guide, we are going to answer the question how long does sugar cookie dough last in the fridge with an in-depth analysis of the shelf life of sugar cookie dough in different conditions. Moreover, we are going to discuss the tips to properly store your sugar cookie dough.
So without much ado, lets dive in and figure out more about it.
How To Make Sugar Cookies
Its almost criminal how easy these cookies are to make, but nobody is getting arrested! HA. There are only 4 really simple steps. Heres a brief summary
- Make the dough: beat together butter, sugar, and flour until blended.
- Form the cookies: form the dough into 1-inch balls. Roll the balls in sugar, then flatten them with a glass or measuring cup.
- Bake: bake until just barely golden around the edges and bottom.
- Rest: let rest and cool for at least 10-15 minutes before eating.
Thats it. No rolling, no dividing, no chilling, and barely any waiting!
Also Check: How And When To Check Blood Sugar
How Can I Tell When The Cookies Are Done
You know how most cookie recipes say to cook until the edges are golden? Just say no! No, I tell you! Theyll be hard and crunchy instead of soft, tender, and chewy. You do not want the edges or tops to brown at all. The cookies should be barely browned on the bottom. When the cookies are baking, they will have a shiny surface on top. When they are fully baked, they will appear completely matte across the top, but not at all brown. Watch carefully! Over baking is a death sentence for soft cookies.
How To Moisten Dry Cookie Dough
Now that you know why your cookie dough may have become dry, it is time to fix the problem! Lets say goodbye to dry cookie dough and hello to soft, tender cookies.
Based on the reasons above, you will want to follow one or more of the tips below.
For instance, if you have determined that you dont have enough liquid in your dough, you will want to add liquid and see if that fixes your dough before trying any of the other tips.
Don’t Miss: What Is The Best Blood Sugar Test Kit
What Makes This Thick Sugar Cookie Recipe So Soft
I will only accept soft cookies. Soft!!! In case youre skimming this post and havent been bossed around enough on SOFT COOKIE RULES, heres the short version:
- Use cream cheese in the dough to replace some of the butter
- CHILL the dough!
- Roll out the dough mega thick, like inch.
- Do not over bake the cookies! They should be just barely matte on top, but not golden on the edges.
- Transfer to a sealed container within minutes after cooling.
- Frost with Buttercream Frosting. Royal icing just is not going to cut it my friends. The buttercream locks in moisture and makes your cookies ultra soft!
Stirring Up A Simple Cookie Dough
Making the cookie dough is an absolute breeze. Start by creaming together the butter and sugar until it gets nice and fluffy. Then beat in the eggs, milk and vanilla. Be sure to use real vanilla extract in this recipe. Because the cookie dough is so simple, that vanilla flavor will really pop, so make sure its the best vanilla you can afford.
Editors tip:Make sure not to make this mistake when buying vanilla at the store.
Finally, add in the flour. Start by adding about seven cups and add more flour as needed. The dough shouldnt be overly sticky, so dont hesitate to add a little extra until you get to that full eight cups.
Recommended Reading: Is 258 Blood Sugar High