Why A Banana Smash Cake
We hold off on sugar, including maple syrup, honey, or other sugar alternatives until our kids are 2 years old. Any dessert we serve needs to be sweetened with fruit like bananas, apples/applesauce, or dates.
I personally chose to make a healthy first birthday cake free of any sweeteners as I knew my kids wouldnt know the difference anyway! I first designed this healthy smash cake reicpe for my son who LOOOOVES bananas and applesauce so this cake was a perfect fit for him. And now 2 years later, my daughter thoroughly enjoyed it as well.
My philosophy is one of balance. And for me, this cake fits with my balance mentality for a 1 year old. If they dont even know real, sugar-filled cake existswhy give it to them?!
Topping Ideas For A Healthy Smash Cake
For the photos you see here I did pastel star sprinkles and a 1 candle. For Olivias actual birthday Im planning to top the cake with fresh raspberries as theyre her favorite and I have a feeling they will entice her to dig into the cake. Im also going to top the cake with a little sign I ordered from Etsy that says Olivia is One.
Other Sugar Free Sweetener Options
Yes! I used a powdered erythritol / monk fruit sweetener mix. But allulose or xylitol will work equally well. I like natural sweeteners – no sucralose, no maltitol, no artificial flavor.
Powdered sweetener does work best, because it will give a smoother texture. If you only have granulated sweetener, simply blend it first in the food processor to powder it.
Keto Apple Crisp Recipe
Growing up, we had apple crisp regularly and it was definitely a favourite. This low carb version tastes just as good as your grandmas, with the butter but without the sugar! Heres why I love this recipe:
- Its so quick and easy to perpare! Just whip up the apple layer, then the crisp, then layer them in a baking dish or cast iron andbake!
- Keto Apple Crisp is really keto friendly! Each serving comes to 4.6g net carbs if you use Bramley apples like I did.
- Its delicious! Cinnamon and apples, whats not to love? The crunchy topping is my favourite part, especially the walnuts. SO good!
- Its perfect for sharing. Prep and bake this if you have company over. Your house will smell amazing AND youll get to tuck into a yummy dessert. Serve it with a large scoop of this Keto Salted Caramel Ice Cream .
- You can make it into Paleo Apple Crisp! Replace the erythritol with monk fruit sugar, coconut sugar or stevia, and the butter with ghee or coconut oil.
- Can it be vegan? Why not! To make Vegan Apple Crisp, just use plant-based butter or coconut oil instead of dairy. You want to make sure the butter is hard butter and not the soft, spreadable type.
Keto Blueberry Mug Cake
If youve never had a mug cake an individualized serving size cake you make in a mug in your microwave then youre in for a real treat.
It takes about 5 minutes to prepare this tangy blueberry cake and another 1 minute to cook it. Yes, thats not a typo1 minute.
Best of all, it may be small and easy to make, but it tastes like the real thing.
Recommended Reading: How To Get My Sugar Down Fast
Healthy Gluten Free Sugar Free Carrot Cake
Continuing to obsess over baked goods that allow me to pretend like Im eating a plate full of veggies.
Well, only one kind of baked good: CARROT CAKE.
Just making sure the Easter bunny has ALL the gluten free carrot cakery that he/she needs to experience this spicy-sweet, MOIST cake deliciousness no matter what kind of eating habits said bunny follows. Even if its a WILD bunny, I have gluten free oatmeal carrot muffins with GARAM MASALA for it.
Also, internet BFFS, in this scenario Y-O-U are the Easter bunny that I am trying to cater different-diet-friendly carrot cake to.
Anyway. I KNOW that youre gonna feel SO good about this sugar free carrot cake recipe.
Syrups Coconut Sugar Palm Sugar And Jaggery
“I’m often asked about the benefits of some popular alternatives like agave and coconut sugar. These ingredients are being used more and more frequently but don’t forget they’re simply sugar by a different name.
“Syrups like agave are popular ingredients for a gooey flapjack or a sticky ginger cake but whether you opt for golden syrup, maple syrup, honey, agave or rice syrup they’re all classed as ‘free’ sugars the type we should be cutting back on. So, if you’re using these alternatives, then strictly speaking your home-bake is not sugar-free, but you may, depending on which you use, be benefiting from some nutritional benefits like trace vitamins and minerals, although because the amount is so small, it’s unlikely to have any impact on your health.
“Coconut sugar is made from the sap of the coconut palm tree. It is fundamentally the same as palm sugar and jaggery, which are made from palm sap and sugar cane, respectively. These sugars undergo less processing so they retain some trace nutrients, though once again, the amount is negligible. Use them if you prefer an unrefined sugar but remember they are still just that another form of sugar.”
Don’t Miss: What Is Elevated Blood Sugar
Grab Our Books & Recipe Keto App
Its my prayer these keto cookbooks will help make keto a delicious breeze for you. Gain access to simple and delicious recipes for breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks, and even desserts with our FITTOSERVEGROUP APP.
How To Make Sugar Free Cakemixhomemade
- 1MIX all ingredients store in freezer bags in pantry. Label: “yellow cake mix” …
- 2DIRECTIONS FOR MAKING CAKE: Oven 325. Spray pans with “Joy baking spray” for cupcakes use liners.13×9″ approx 40 min or until donetwo 8″ approx 40 minutestwo 9″ approx 35-40 minutesbundt approx 55 minutescupcakes approx 19-23 minutes 2/3 full
- 3Blend cake mix 1 1/2 c. milk, 2 tsp vanilla, 1/4 c. melted butter, and 2 eggs beat for 3 minutes on high speed. Pour into pans and bake.
- Last Step: Don’t forget to share! Make all your friends drool by posting a picture of your finished recipe on your favorite social network. And don’t forget to tag Just A Pinch and include #justapinchrecipes so we can see it too!
- Printable Recipe Card
Don’t Miss: Where To Find Sugar Babies
Lets Not Forget About The Sprinkles
Sprinkles are the topping here, and no worries because they are also completely sugar-free.
If youre interested in making your own low carb homemade sprinkles, I have the recipe for you. The best part about making your own is you can customize them to be any colour you want.
They do take a bit of time to dry so if you decide to make this sugar-free birthday cake with the sprinkles, make the sprinkles a day or two ahead of time.
Unlike sugar made sprinkles, these sprinkles are a bit more fragile and tend to melt a bit quickly. If you add them to ice cream, or on top of wet whip cream some of them will melt.
My cake required two coats of sprinkles because the first set melted, but it worked out very well because the outside icing ended up having that sweet icing taste, with a tiny bit of crunch.
The sprinkles held up like champs after that second coating, this photo was taken a few hours after I finished the second coat.
How To Naturally Color The Frosting
For my son, I left the coconut cream white, but for my daughter, I used freeze-dried strawberries to color it pink as well as lightly flavor it.
How to Color Your Smash Cake Naturally with Freeze Dried Fruit: I purchased my freeze-dried strawberries at Aldi, but you can find them at almost any grocery. Simply blend them in your food processor until they are a fine powder and then mix them into the coconut cream until you have the desired pinkness.
You May Like: How To Lower Sugar Levels Quickly
Vegan And Paleo Substitutes
You can make this into a Vegan Apple Crisp by switching the butter to a dairy-free hard butter or coconut oil.
On the other hand, if you want to make this a Paleo Apple Crisp, substitute the erythritol for a paleo alternative like stevia, monk fruit, or coconut sugar, and also switch the butter to ghee or coconut oil.
Keto Cinnamon Mug Cake
If youre looking for a mug cake thats more sweet and rich and less tart and tangy, then try this keto cinnamon mug cake instead.
It still has the same 6-minute prep and cook time, but the taste is much warmer and more decadent.
To make it, youll need an egg, coconut oil, monk fruit, almond flour, baking soda, ground cinnamon, and peanut butter.
Its beautiful and tasty, so whats not to love?
You May Like: What Foods Can I Eat To Lower Blood Sugar
The Best Keto Spice Cake
If youve missed eating apples and like desserts with apple spice flavors, youre going to love this easy keto mug cake.
The cake has a tender crumb and is incredibly moist with the perfect amount of apple flavor. And the brown sugar crumble on top just melts in your mouth and has a wonderful blend of warm spices that compliment the sweetness of the cake incredibly well.Rewind 10sPlayForward 10s
Plus, this sugar free cake recipe tastes so much like a regular spice cake that youd never guess it has only 4 NET CARBS. And thats for the entire keto mug cake! Yep, crumble and all.
Best of all though is the fact that this gluten free spice cake takes under 5 minutes to make! Honestly, it might be one of the best quick & easy keto fall desserts you can make. Id put it up there next to my 5 Minute Keto Pecan Pie. And that recipe is pretty darn ridiculous.
What Makes Poke Cake So Popular
Perhaps it is the simplicity of this cake that makes it so easy to make. Using familiar ingredients make this cake an easy sell to others as well.
You can make this poke cake even better by topping it with some of your favorite ingredients.
This cake can be easily frosted with a basic sugar free buttercream frosting. However, you could also add some sliced fresh strawberries to your poke cake.
Sugar Free Strawberry Poke Cake
Recommended Reading: When Should I Be Checking My Blood Sugar
Keto Brownie In A Mug
Yes, this may technically be more brownie than cake, but it’s essentially a chocolate mug cake for one.
This quick and easy, single-serve keto brownie will curb your chocolate cake cravings and takes just a few minutes to prep! With its gooey, chocolatey texture, I know you’ll agree! Top it with low-carb vanilla ice cream or this keto chocolate sauce for all the yums.
People Ask What Is The Difference Between A Regular Cake And A Sponge Cake
You probably already know that most cakes include ingredients including flour, sugar, eggs, a leavener, and some kind of fat. A sponge cake does not differ too much in ingredients.
The big difference between a sponge cake and a regular cake is the density of the cakes.
That is, a regular cake may seem heavy and dense.This is because a regular cake has a good amount of fat, such as oil, add to it.Also, the eggs in most cake are simply mixed into the batter.
Don’t Miss: What Is The Best Way To Raise Blood Sugar
People Sometimes Ask What Is A Poke Cake
Poke cake is really a hack or a simple take on a regular sheet cake idea in which holes are used to add additional flavor using gelatin.Making this cake even easier to make is that this cake does not have to be made from scratch.
Poke cake got its name from actually being poked.
That is, you can take a simple cake mix cake and poke holes in. Then, you fill those holes with flavorful ingredients such as gelatin.
Caramel Vs Dulce De Leche
Caramel and dulce de leche differentiate by the method of cooking used. Unlike dulce de leche, which is created by heating milk until the water evaporates and the mixture begins to brown and thicken, caramel is made by cooking sugar until it reaches a deep brown color before mixing it with the other ingredients.
You May Like: Why Would Blood Sugar Be Low
Tips For Making Vegan Chocolate Cake
- This recipe is very versatile and can be made into a cake or cupcakes.
- Cooking times will vary with the size of the pan used. Cupcakes should take about 25 minutes and 8-9 pans will cook the cake in about 30-35 minutes. Oven temperatures vary.
- When making this into cupcakes, an ice cream scoop with a trigger is perfect for scooping into muffin cups without having to scrape a spoon or fingers.
- To check for doneness, insert a toothpick into the center of the cake or cupcake and remove. When it comes out clean, the cake is ready.
- This cake recipe is not gluten-free, but Minimalist Baker has a great GF Baking Guide that can help convert this cake.
- The frosting is already gluten-free.
- For those not doing sugar-free, an unrefined sugar can be substituted. Measurements are included in the recipe card below.
Keto Chocolate Zucchini Muffins
If you’re craving chocolate cupcakes, these chocolate zucchini muffins are the next best thing! You can easily feed that chocolate craving without spiking your blood sugar level.
Cake-like in texture, they are ultra moist from the shreds of fresh zucchini and almond flour. Plus, they’re simple to make and suit any time of day, whether you’re looking for an on-the-go breakfast, an after-school snack or decadent dessert.
You May Like: What Artificial Sweetener Tastes Most Like Sugar
Ingredients Needed For This Healthy Smash Cake
Moms , I have a feeling youre going to love me because this cake only has seven simple ingredients ! And most of these ingredients you probably already have in your pantry:
- almond flour I chose almond flour for this recipe because it has a natural sweetness and gives the cake a light and fluffy crumb that makes it easier for your baby to smash and eat. I have a feeling that all-purpose flour will work, but I have not tested this recipe with different flours so Im not sure how it will turn out. I highly recommend using almond flour for the best results.
- banana perfectly ripe mashed bananas are a key ingredient as they replace the oil and sugar in this recipe. Make sure your bananas are ripe . Unripe bananas will not work well for this recipe. I havent tested this with any other fruit puree so Im not sure how it will work if you use applesauce or another fruit puree. If you try it, please let me know in the comments.
- eggs the eggs help the cake rise and give it the fluffiness. If you have an egg allergy or want to avoid eggs, readers have used flax seed eggs in place of the eggs with good results.
- vanilla extract
- cinnamon cinnamon is totally optional, but I like the subtle sweetness it adds to the cake.
- baking powder
- salt if youre worried about the salt in your babies diet, you can leave this out.
- icing + toppings see all of my ideas below.
Cake Recipes For Diabetics Patients
Sponge cake goes great with tea time. There is no denying that. A light, moist, soft sponge cake with tea and small sandwiches make up amazing tea time. Follow the recipe given below to bake the yummiest sponge cake of all time.
- Three drops of vanilla extract.
- Six tablespoons of butter.
- Three fourth cup of Splenda.
- Olive oil to spray.
Melt the butter in a pan on medium heat. Once it has melted, remove it and allow it to cool. Mix all the dry ingredients in one bowl then add the eggs with the help of a beater mix all the ingredient in a smooth batter. Now, add the splenda and continue to mix for 90 minutes. Now add in the vanilla extract. Combine the milk and melted butter with this mixture. Preheat the oven to 325F and spray the cake tin with oil. Pour in the batter and let it bake for 20 mins. Check if its cooked through with a stick or a folk. If it comes out clear the set it, allow it to cool and serve fresh with some whipping cream. Do give this cake for diabetic patients a try.
If you think I have forgotten about chocolate lovers then, you are completely wrong. There should be a tremendous amount of recipes for chocolate cakes. Give this delightful chocolate mocha cake a try, and see for yourself. Do give this cake for diabetic patients a try.
- ½ cup Truvia
Recommended Reading: Can Sugar Cause Gout Flare Ups
Sugar Replacements For Baking
As I started out on this cake, I knew from previous experiments with sugar replacements that I wasnt a fan of Splenda or Stevia. I find they leave an after taste and are definitely noticeable in the recipe.
Just like when I made my Dairy Free and Egg Free Vanilla Cake, I wanted to make sure this cake taste as close to the real deal as possible. I just dont think flavor and texture should ever be compromised, even in a healthier version.
So, with Splenda and Stevia already a no for me, I grabbed coconut sugar and monk fruit.