Direct Moisture Away From The Foundation
If ants are threatening to take your home hostage, turn your attention to your gutters. If theyre pouring water around the foundation of your home, its time to invest in downspouts to transition the run-off further away from your home . The reason? Price says ants are attracted to moisture , so by pushing the water further away from your home, the ants will be less likely to migrate into your interior space.
How Do I Prevent Sugar Ants
Preventing sugar ants is one of the best ways to avoid an attack. Some of the things you can do to keep them at bay include:-Wipe off sugary messes in the kitchen every time there is a spillage.-Dont leave food out in the open for a long time. Store it in airtight containers or transfer leftovers to the fridge quickly.-Keep your counters and floors clean by wiping them down after meals, especially if you have small children who may be spilling things more often than not.-Inspect your home for any cracks or crevices that the sugar ants may be using as an entry point. Seal these areas with silicone caulk to prevent them from entering.-Dont leave pet food out for extended periods, and ensure that you clean up after your pets as well.-Dont plant things like sweet potatoes or yams around the exterior of your home since these types of plants attract a sugar ant, especially if theyre located close to a ground entrance point.
Will Sugar Ants Go Away On Their Own
Sugar ants will not go away on their own and most likely you’re going to need professional help in order to get a long lasting solution to your problem. Try calling a pest control company like ATCO that can come up with the best solution for your home situation. We’ll inform you through every step of the process and give you tips on keeping these ants away in the future based on our findings.
Recommended Reading: What Should You Eat To Lower Blood Sugar
Get Rid Of Sugar Ants In 3 Steps
The term sugar ant is a term used to describe a variety of ant species that seek out sweets in your home. In the United States and Canada, the term sugar ant is used to describe any sweet-eating ant that invades your home. These sugar ants are usually small and especially persistent in their efforts to raid your kitchen, cabinets, and sinks in an attempt to haul bits of food back to their nest.
To get rid of these ants, you need to follow three basic tips:
STEP 1 — Seal off their entryways, wherever possible
STEP 2 — Lay down ant bait, like our TERRO® Liquid Ant Baits, to eliminate the colony
STEP 3 — Limit their access to food inside your house
Of course, you probably want a few details on why sugar ants are targeting your home, what they are after and specific tips to eliminate the problem, so read on. Beating these sweet-eating ants is possible, and this quick guide will show you how to fight sugar ants in any of their forms.
How To Get Rid Of Fire Ants
Fire ants are among the most dangerous ants and are known to attack aggressively if their mounds are disturbed. If you find these ants anywhere near your vicinity, immediately take steps to remove them permanently. Although seeking help from trusted pest control professionals would be the right way to go about it, you can also employ specific DIY hacks.
- One of the first things you can do is find and destroy their mound/anthill. You need to kill the ants deep inside their colony and add insecticide on top of the mound to eradicate unhatched eggs or immature offspring.
- You can also use granular insecticides to target their mounds individually to destroy them.
- Natural items like boiling water, vinegar, and baking soda to get rid of these ants and Diatomaceous Earth are effective in dealing with fire ants. Diatomaceous Earth is one of the most effective ant-killers out there, and placing them in the ant entryways can solve the problem of how to get rid of ants permanently.
- The bite of fire ants can be excruciatingly painful and can even trigger allergic reactions for some people. So, it is best to seek professional help when you encounter one of those painful bites from a venomous critter!
Read Also: How Do People Get Sugar Daddies
Sponsorship & Advertising Policy
Kidadl is independent and to make our service free to you the reader we are supported by advertising.
We hope you love our recommendations for products and services! What we suggest is selected independently by the Kidadl team. If you purchase using the buy now button we may earn a small commission. This does not influence our choices. Please note: prices are correct and items are available at the time the article was published.
Kidadl has a number of affiliate partners that we work with including Amazon. Please note that Kidadl is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.
We also link to other websites, but are not responsible for their content.
How Do You Get Rid Of Ants Outside The House
The most effective way to get rid of ants outside the house is by getting rid of the food source that attracts them. This can be done by making sure there are no crumbs or other food sources that have been left out around your home. Ants will need to find their way back into the soil to survive, so if you keep your home clean and free of food sources, then you should be able to prevent them from coming back inside.
Also Check: Is 93 Blood Sugar Good
How To Keep Ants Out Of Your Home For Good
- Seal all entry points. Caulk and seal any cracks or exposed crevices in doors and windows.
- Hide the sweets. Black garden ants are the most likely invaders. Keep foodespecially honey, maple syrup, and sugarin airtight containers or tightly wrapped with foil or plastic wrap.
- Do your chores. Regularly clean countertops, floors, cabinets, and pantries where crumbs are most likely to hide. Keep your pet’s food properly stored between feedings and regularly clean pet bowls.
- Take out the trash. Make sure trash cans are covered and inspect the can for any residue that might be lingering after you take out the garbage.
Why Am I Getting Ants In My Kitchen
Ants in your home tend to appear out of nowhere. If you spot them in the kitchen, dont panic! They infest your kitchen for easy access to food and beverages and nothing else. If your kitchen countertops are dirty or there are easily accessible crumbs, sweets, and fruits, these pesky creatures will find their way to it.
It doesnt take much food for ants to invade your kitchen sprinkles of sugar, crumbs of cake, and even a small spill of juice are enough to attract them. Theyre always in constant search for food, and they easily settle where they find it.
Recommended Reading: Can High Blood Sugar Make You Dizzy
How To Get Rid Of Indoor Ants Permanently
- Play detective. Step one is to get to the bottom of what’s attracting the ants in the first place. Whether its a sticky drip of honey down the side of a jar or a stray spoon in the sink, theres always a source. Clean up whatever has attracted your new tenants, and if you’re lucky, they just might move out on their own.
- Shut down the scouting. Teams of scout ants search for food using pheromones. These pheromones leave behind a trail for other ants to follow, so simply sweeping the ants away wont cut it. You have to destroy their tiny trail, and you can do that with a mix of one part vinegar to three parts water. Simply spray it anywhere you’ve spotted ants.
- Ready, set, repel. To eliminate ants naturally, mix peppermint or lavender oil with water and spray mixture on entry points like windowsills or door frames. If you decide to take the chemical route, look for a product with boric acid, and make sure to carefully read the instructions.
- Count to three. Once you set out the repellents, avoid the temptations to kill any ants. Theyre going to do all the hard work for you and take the poisonous bait back to the nest.
Make A Homemade Ant Killer With Borax
Along with cleaning laundry, Borax also known as sodium borate is a natural mineral that will kill any ants that ingest it.
Mix Borax with equal parts water and sugar to make a syrup, and leave it in the corners where you’ve noticed ants. This method will work to kill the entire colony in roughly 24 to 48 hours, as the worker ants will bring the liquid back to the nest.
Important: Borax can cause irritation, so wear gloves when handling it and use it sparingly around pets and children.
You May Like: Does Moringa Lower Blood Sugar
How To Get Rid Of An Ants Nest In The Garden
Ants are essential to a balanced ecosystem and help us by eating up other household and garden pests like fleas and bed bugs. For this reason, destroying an ants’ nest should only be a very last resort.
The ants you see in your house and scuttling around the pavement are only 10 percent of the colony. If you are seriously struggling with an infestation, then you’re going to need to target the nest.
What Is The Fastest Way To Get Rid Of Red Ants In The House
Red ants, too, can be a significant nuisance. So, here are particular tactics to get rid of red ants in the house as soon as you realise there is an infestation.
- What is the fastest way to get rid of ants in the house? The vinegar and water ant killer mixture works excellent when getting rid of red ants for good. If you have red ants in the house, mix vinegar and water in a 1:1 ratio and spray it over all the possible entry points. If you see any red ants in the house, you can spray the mixture directly. This method also works effectively for destroying anthills occupied by red ants.
- One of the most popular tricks here is making a lemon and water mixture in a 3:1 ratio and using it just as the vinegar and water mixture. Vinegar is not always available, which is why you can go for lemons. Spray that on the ants, their entry points, and the anthills whenever you spot red ants in the house.
- Mint is one of the scents that ants hate. If you see red ants in the house, you can spray mint oil or get mint extract and spray it on all the entry points and the corners of your home. As this smell repels ants immensely, it can help you effectively get rid of them.
Also Check: How To Test Blood Sugar Without Pricking
Effects Of A Sugar Ant Infestation
Sugar ants bite is rare, so they might not be overly dangerous.
However, you are at significant risk if you have an open wound and sugar ants are around.
The reason is that they smell blood and are attracted to it.
So you risk getting your wound infected by a pathogen carry ant walking across it. That is why you need to know how to get rid of sugar ants.
But they can be very irritating to have around.
For one, once they get into your food in large numbers, you might not want to eat that food again.
They are also effective vectors of pathogens since they cover much ground and are likely to come across many pollutants. This increases the risk of contracting streptococcus and staphylococcus, among others.
Sugar ants also store rotting food remains and mold in their ant nests, and these can pose serious health risks to people who live around the premises.
Then there is the thing about damaging the wooden structures in the house like furniture, wooden beams, and ceilings.
Damaged wooden structures can lead to significant repair costs.
These are some of the reasons why some folks are constantly looking for how to get rid of sugar ants.
What Smell Do Ants Hate
The scent of any area plays a significant role in ant infestation. Certain smells highly repel them and can be used to get rid of ants. So if you can spray some strong-smelling substances, like eucalyptus or peppermint, you are already one step ahead of the ants.
Another unique fact about these ants is that they are choked by cinnamon. You can opt to sprinkle the cinnamon directly on them or even spray cinnamon oil and water on the anthill to prevent red ants in the house or get a water concoction of peppermint, garlic, lavender or cinnamon oil that works wonders by destroying probable entry points. The above trick is similarly effective with black pepper powder readily available in the market.
You May Like: Can High Blood Sugar Cause Muscle Cramps
Clean Away Ant Trails
If you can see where the ants are traveling, you can see the chemical trail thats been left behind by the scouts. Trace the path by following ants that are foraging, then clean it up with soapy water or window cleaner. Although scouts will return to lay the path again, youll buy yourself some time to remove food sources and create some new ant hazards.
How Do I Get Rid Of Tiny Ants In My Kitchen
Even the cleanest kitchen will still attract tiny ants because they have incredible odor receptors and are diligent enough to seek out even the most remote food source.
That is not to say that you should leave your kitchen in a mess because of this.
To learn how to get rid of sugar ants in your kitchen, you must first understand what brings them there in the first place.
You May Like: How To Counter Sugar Cravings
How Long Does It Take To Kill Sugar Ants
That depends on the size of your infestation and the killing methods you choose. The basis for any type of extermination is to sanitize your home wipe all the surfaces with all-purpose cleaner every night, take the garbage out daily, dont leave any human or pet food for long, seal the cracks in your walls. These measures will shorten ant stay at your place, no matter what type of pesticide you choose.
If you want to get rid of sugar ants quickly, use chemical pesticides: sprays and baits will do. Spraying is the best way if there still arent many pests in your home. Baits take longer to work , but they can deal with a grave infestation.
How To Get Rid Of Ants Permanently And Take Care Of An Ant Infestation
Pests, in general, can cause a lot of nuisance and damage in homes and ants are a prime example of that. Ant infestation is quite common and generally happens massively, and the most striking part is that ant infestation is not limited to particular geographical territories! Ants can invade your home for any reason, and if this is left unchecked, it can become a problem of an intolerable magnitude! Infact, how to get rid of ants is one of the most asked questions for which we try to get some answers in this article.
Recommended Reading: What Does High Sugar Cause
What Harm Do Sugar Ants Cause
Sugar ants are generally considered harmless. After all, theyâre tiny, arenât venomous, and donât damage your house, unlike some other ant species. This doesnât mean they should peacefully walk around your house untouched, though, and weâll explain why in a minute. The issues arising from sugar ants merely depend on their numbers.
Sugar ants may gnaw their way to food sources through plastic, cardboard, or paper. They can damage your storage containers, spill rice or milk, and cause other minor yet annoying inconveniences. Sugar ants may also contaminate your food and water, as they carry bacteria around the house with them.
Another issue with sugar ants is that they attract other insects, in particular spiders and centipedes. And, while some spiders help to get rid of flies and mosquitoes and are harmless, others may be dangerous. Centipedes are the kind of insect that should never get inside your house as the absolute majority of them are venomous.
Last but not least, although a sugar ant bite isnât painful, it may cause allergy in individual cases.
Q What Are Sugar Ants
A: Sugar ant is a colloquial term for any ant that is particularly attracted to sweets and meats. These sweet-eating ants include Acrobat ants, Argentine ants, Big-headed ants, Carpenter ants, Cornfield ants, Crazy ants, Ghost ants, Little black ants, Odorous house ants, Pavement ants, Pharaoh ants, White-footed ants, and many others. TERRO® has a number of solutions for dealing with many of the sweet-eating ants. Check out individual labels for how they deal with a specific species.
Also Check: How To Lower My Fasting Blood Sugar
The Impact Of Ants On Health And Hygiene
Ants have known germs viruses, bacteria, harmful microbes and you would often find them near filthy sources rummaging for food. Ants pick up those disease-causing microbes and can spread those obnoxious organisms in our food.
Since they move in abundance, they can contaminate our food more effectively than any other type of insects whenever they come in contact with unprotected or uncovered food lying in our homes. Having a large colony of red ants in house can be a breeding ground for diseases like e.coli, salmonella, shigella, streptococcus, etc and this is one of the main reasons on why to get rid of ants.