Milk Contains Lactose And Particular Proteins You May Be Sensitive To Or Allergic To
If you cannot tolerate dairy products for any reason, the keto diet will seem like a daunting task with its heavy reliance on dairy products like cheese and heavy cream. Fortunately, there are more dairy-free milk alternatives than those that are dairy-based.
In this guide, we will provide you with the dairy-free options you can rely on. However, if youd like to limit your intake of ALL dairy products, youll find more comprehensive information in our guide to dairy-free keto.
Dairy Is Tasty And Filling
Theres no denying that many dairy foods are delicious, and they can even help other foods taste better. For example, topping vegetables or lean steak with butter or a cream sauce can make a world of difference to the palatability and flavor of your meal.
As Dr. Bret Scher, Diet Doctors Medical Director, likes to say, Anyone who doesnt like broccoli or spinach, in my opinion, likely hasnt had them properly cooked in butter and sprinkled with real salt!
In addition to being flavorful, cheese can also be very filling. In one randomized controlled trial , cheese was found to reduce hunger and trigger the release of fullness hormones more than cream or whipped cream.21
Interestingly, a 2017 systematic review of 13 RCTs in adults found that although all types of dairy products seemed to increase feelings of fullness and decrease hunger, this didnt lead to reduced intake at meals later in the day.22 However, these studies were conducted in people consuming high-carb diets.
Unfortunately, at this time no studies have tested a dairy-containing low-carb diet against a dairy-free one.
Its Better For The Environment
The dairy industry has become an ecological disaster. Animal agriculture is responsible for 83% of total global agricultural land, yet produces only 18% of the worlds calories. Its a leading driver behind the destruction of tropical rainforests. And cows are huge contributors to climate change. The methane they release is 23 times more powerful than carbon dioxide in warming the atmosphere.
Dairy also uses a lot of water. Factoring in the amount needed to feed and raise cows, it takes 976 gallons of water to produce one gallon of milk.
Recommended Reading: Does Glipizide Lower Blood Sugar Immediately
How Sproud Products Fit Into Your Low
Sproud offers a selection of pea-based milk alternatives all of them work for a low-carb diet. The thing is low-carb does not mean no carb.
If you want our most low-carb option, Sproud Unsweetened knocks it out of the park with 0 sugar. But our other drinks serve different purposes while still being relatively low-carb compared to a lot of similar options.
For example Sproud Chocolate, which is a great-tasting and relatively low-carb chocolatey treat. Or Sproud Barista, an extra creamy milk alternative that can be easily frothed for espresso drinks.
What Is The Best Milk For Keto
True or false: milk is okay to consume on a keto diet.
Its one of the big questions that comes up when people first switch to a keto diet. Whether youre a fan of milk in your cereal or a tad in your coffee, tea, or latte, whats one to do when milk gets put on the chopping block and the potential for eliminating it from your diet becomes real?
While the whole butter coffee trend has taken keto by storm and is totally safe to keep you in ketosis, not everyone is happy to get on board with it.
So, if youre not a fan of black coffee or a cup loaded with butter and cant do milk, whatre you to do?
The answer isnt as simple as a straight yes or no when it comes to can you have milk on keto its dependent on what youre consuming, how much youre consuming, and does it fit within your carb limit.
Were going to give you a rundown of if you can have milk on keto, why you should substitute for low carb milk alternatives, the best keto milk alternatives, and and how you can seamlessly make the transition to a low carb keto-friendly substitute.
Read Also: How Can I Lower My Sugar Naturally
Best 9 Keto Milk Choices
Finding the best milk for your lifestyle means reading labels and knowing what to buy! Each milk alternative has its pros and cons, just as traditional cows milk. That being said, theyre inherently healthy and delicious!
Here are the 9 best low carb milk choices:
**Note: The chart above is based on an 8-ounce serving of the unsweetened variety. Flavors, such as vanilla, may contain additional carbs and/or sugar.
Is There Sugar In Nonfat Milk
. Beside this, which type of milk has the least amount of sugar?
One cup of fat-free cows milk has around 12 grams of carbs. There is no added sugar, just the naturally occurring lactose straight from the source. Dont have a cow, though there are plenty of non-dairy milks out there with zero-to-low carbs, like unsweetened flax or almond milk.
Subsequently, question is, how many grams of sugar are in fat free milk? One cup of skim milk provides 83 calories, 8 grams of protein, 12 grams of carbohydrate, 12 grams of sugar, and 0 grams of fat.
One may also ask, does skim milk have sugar?
Ive seen numerous bloggers and health gurus claiming that skim milk is loaded with sugar. But if you refer to the labels or check the USDA nutrition database, youll see that whole, 2 percent, 1 percent, and skim milk all contain 12 grams of sugar per cup.
Are the sugars in milk bad for you?
This is 100 percent lactose, the natural sugar found in milk as it comes from the cowno sugar is added. This means you may have some calories left for treats, often high in sugar. If you fill up on foods or beverages that contain added sugar, you are less likely to consume healthy foods and beverages.
Recommended Reading: How Many Grams Of Sugar Should Diabetics Have Per Day
How To Choose A Healthy Sugar
When shopping for sugar-free cereal, look for products with short ingredient lists that contain mostly whole foods and are free of artificial colors, flavors, and preservatives.
Its also important to pay attention to the serving size, as you may find that you consume more than one serving in a typical meal.
Evaporated Milk Substitutes For Keto
Since evaporated milk is just milk with less water content, there are plenty of easy substitution options you can buy or make yourself.
- Full-fat coconut milk This will impart a coconut flavor to the recipe, which will work well with most desserts and curries.
- Heavy cream The most versatile evaporated milk substitute: It works well in sauces, soups, pie fillings, baking, casseroles, frozen desserts, and custards.
- Half & half A great option if heavy cream is too rich for the recipe.
- Any vegan milk after reducing it down by ~60% You can make evaporated milk at home by simmering your preferred vegan-friendly milk alternative until you have 40% of the amount you started with.
These options can be used as a 1:1 replacement for evaporated milk, but make sure you read the tips next to each one to find the ideal substitute for your keto recipe.
You May Like: What Blood Sugar Level Is Considered Diabetic
Sproud Unsweetened The Superior Choice
With less than 1 gram of carbs per cup and no compromise on taste, you should really try out Sproud Unsweetened Pea Milk if you want a more enjoyable low-carb diet. In a taste test, nine out of ten consumers chose Sproud Unsweetened over market leading unsweetened oat and soy options.
It looks like milk, tastes like milk and can be used the same way as milk. Unsweetened is the perfect option to always keep a pack of at home to make your low-carb diet more sustainable for you. Its especially suited for athletes and people with an active lifestyle Use Unsweetened in coffees, teas, low-carb desserts and cooking. Or have a glass all by itself!
Should I Even Bother With Alt
It’s not a must, Kubal says. Theres not a lot of nutritional benefit to these milks at all, says Kubal. Alternative, non-dairy milks have a place, but look for food with more nutritional value. It will always be better than watered down almonds or coconuts, she says. Milks, whether it’s dairy or non-dairy, still have carbs, and she recommends maximizing your carb quota by putting it toward food like veggies. Nutrients should always come before macros, she says. But if you just can’t drink coffee in the morning without it, pour away.
Recommended Reading: How Do You Know If Your Sugar Low
Which Milk Is Right For You
More and more people are exploring alternative substitutes to cows milk. Nutritionist Kerry Torrens takes a look at the most popular options and our cookery team puts them to the test in the Good Food kitchen
Scour the dairy shelves in your supermarket and, as well as cows milk, you can find goats milk, several soya options and milk-style drinks made from nuts. Theres a huge demand for these products, as four out of 10 British households now use an non-dairy alternative to milk in hot drinks, cereal or cooking.
One reason is that some of us find cows milk difficult to digest, and blame symptoms like bloating, wind and diarrhoea on dairy. This may be because low levels of the enzyme lactase make it hard to digest the lactose in dairy products. Other people may be intolerant to cows milk protein or have a more serious allergy to dairy.
Milk allergy is also one of the most common childhood food allergies, affecting about 2-3 per cent of infants in the UK, with symptoms ranging from skin conditions to digestive problems.
Skimmed, semi or full-fat?
Semi-skimmed is low enough in fat to be a low-fat food, but it also has lower levels of fat-soluble vitamins than full-fat milk. So make sure you get your fat-soluble vitamins from other sources, such as brightly coloured salad or veg served with an oil dressing.
Best for babies
Find out more about breastfeeding.
Choose the right one for you
Is Canned Coconut Milk Keto
If youre on a Keto Diet you can use canned coconut milk as long as its unsweetened. I use canned coconut milk in most of my recipes that call for coconut milk like Paleo Pumpkin Pie and 3-Ingredient Keto Chocolate Pudding.
Recommended Reading: Is 130 Blood Sugar High
Is Coconut Milk In The Carton Keto
Youre in luck again if youre looking for more keto milk options because as long as its unsweetened, coconut milk in the carton is a fantastic keto milk. We like this in our Magic Spoon Cereal, and also in Ginger Licorice Tea.
My husband uses this type of coconut milk for his morning coffee, and I love it in my Dandelion Coffee because its so creamy and reminds me of the days when I drank actual coffee and added real heavy cream to it.
Those days are long gone since my body does not tolerate caffeine. As Ive grown older, Ive also realized that Im somewhat carb intolerant, so the keto diet is fantastic for me.
How To Replace Milk With Your Preferred Keto Milk Substitute
Regardless of the milk alternative you choose from the options above, use a 1:1 substitution ratio when replacing the milk for most recipes. For example, if a recipe calls for two tablespoons of milk, simply use two tablespoons of your preferred alternative.
As with most keto-friendly replacements, however, there are a few things to keep in mind for an optimal end result:
- Make sure your keto milk substitute is homogenous .
- Consider the flavor and fat content of your milk alternative. In general, the higher fat substitutes will add satisfying richness, while the lower-fat options will tend to water down some of the flavors in the recipe.
- Try to mirror what the recipe calls for. If the recipe calls for low-fat milk, use half and half, light coconut milk, or any other lower-fat keto milk alternative. Conversely, when the recipe calls for whole milk, try using heavy cream, full-fat coconut milk, or high-fat nut milk.
- Consider the differences in macronutrients for accurate tracking. The protein, fat, and carb content of milk vs. your milk substitute will vary significantly. Make sure you take this into account to increase your chances of success with keto. For a deeper dive into tracking your food and carb intake, check out our guide on the topic.
Recommended Reading: How To Avoid High Blood Sugar
H: Sproud Barista For The Coffee Enthusiast
With only 4 grams of carbs per cup, Sproud Barista is more low-carb than a lot of other options. It is also easy to froth barista style and is extra creamy in texture.
Whip it with a milk frother, pour it straight into coffee or use it any other way you would use milk. Extra creaminess and incredible taste will persuade you that those grams of carbs really work hard to be there.
How To Store And Freeze Condensed Milk
- To store: Leftover condensed milk should always be stored in the refrigerator, to avoid any spoilage. It will keep well, covered, for up to 4 weeks. Before using it, let it sit at room temperature for 30 minutes, for it to loosen up.
- To freeze: Place the condensed milk in a sealable container, and store in the freezer for up to 6 months.
Also Check: How To Decrease Blood Sugar
What Type Of Milk Has The Least Amount Of Sugar
There are several options for nutritious milks that are low in carbs and high in taste.
- Organic Valleys Fat-Free Grassmilk.
- Blue Diamonds Almond Breeze Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk.
- Silks Unsweetened Organic Soymilk.
- Good Karmas Unsweetened Flax Milk.
Likewise, what is the healthiest type of milk? The 7 Healthiest Milk Options
Keeping this in view, is there sugar free milk?
Milk, plain yogurt, and other unsweetened dairy products contain the naturally-occurring sugar lactose, while fruit contains fructose. Regular milk and plain yogurt dont contain any added sugar, but keep in mind that many flavored yogurts and milks do, which is why their sugar counts are higher on the nutrition label.
Is almond milk better for you than regular milk?
Although almond milk is not nearly as nutritious as cows milk, enriched products come close. They frequently contain added vitamin D, calcium and protein, making them more similar to regular milk in nutritional content. However, almond milk is naturally rich in several vitamins and minerals, especially vitamin E.
Avoid These Types Of Milk On Keto
Heres a rundown of milk to avoid on keto.
- Cows milk. Even whole cows milk is high in the dairy sugar lactose. Fresh, evaporated, homogenized, and raw cows milk are all high in carbs. Whole and raw milk contain 12 grams of carbs per cup
- Goats milk. Though its an A2 dairy milk thats more tolerable than A1 dairy for many people, its still too high in carbs to be keto-friendly. One cup contains 11 grams of carbs
- Oat milk. Made from oats, which are a high-carb grain. Oats also contain a potentially harmful plant toxin called phytic acid. Oatmilk has around 17 grams of carb per cup
- Rice milk. Rice is another high-carb grain. Rice milk is one of the sweetest milks, with one cup containing 21 grams of carbs
- Condensed milk is loaded with added sugars. One cup contains a ridiculous 165 grams of net carbs, mostly in the form of refined cane sugar
- Soy milk. Though unsweetened soy milk contains only 3 grams of carbs per cut, its also high in plant toxins called phytohormones that can negatively affect reproduction and endocrine function
Also Check: Can Sugar Cause Frequent Urination
How To Make Keto Sweetened Condensed Milk
This 3-ingredient low carb, sugar free sweetened condensed milk can be used in so many different recipes, and takes just 35 minutes to make. Heres how we make it:
- Melt the butter. In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt butter.
- Add cream and sweetener. Whisk in the heavy cream and powdered sweetener.
- Cook keto sweetened condensed milk. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Simmer for 30-45 minutes, stirring occasionally, until mixture is thick. It should coat the back of a spoon and reduce volume in half.
TIP: To make this process go faster, use a larger pan with more surface area. A large saute pan works great!
Also Check: Is There Sugar In Pedialyte
Is The Sugar In Milk Bad For You
If you wonder whether the sugar content in milk is bad for you, the answer is no. Its part of a well-balanced diet for you and your kids. Plenty of foods and beverages with naturally occurring sugars, like fresh fruit or milk, also have vitamins, minerals, fiber and protein thats essential to help your kids grow healthy and strong.
Dont Miss: How Much Sugar In Hard Cider
You May Like: How To Eat Sugar Free