Is Sugaring At Home Easy
“Easy” wouldn’t be the first word I would use to describe sugaring, let alone a DIY sugar wax. That said, Nartova says it is still possible to try it at home. If you do it at home, Nartova says the easiest way as a beginner is with the strip technique similar to how you would with a strip waxing kit. However, because the hair is growing in multiple directions and you’re not able to maneuver the strip as easily as your fingers, the strip won’t be as precise as the manual flicking technique, so just keep that in mind.
And then, of course, you have the challenge of figuring out how to make sugar wax. Nartova explains that different consistencies of the sugar paste are better for different hair types, different skill levels, and methods . So getting the right texture for your needs is a battle in and of itself.
If you’ve read up to this point and you’re still not deterred , keep reading for how to make sugar wax and how to use it.
Washing Saucepans After Making Sugar Wax
Your saucepans will be sticky and difficult to clean and eliminate when the remaining sugar wax hardens. There are two ways I use to clean them.
1- Cover the inside of the saucepan with very hot water and a trickle of washing-up liquid. Leave it for a while and wash as usual.
2- If there is still stubborn wax, pour some water into the pot and heat it up. This will melt the remaining wax. Throw the water and wash the pot.
These homemade recipes are 100% natural and good for your skin. They are also very pocket-friendly.
And one last thing, homemade sugar wax can last for a few months if stored covered in a cool place or in the refrigerator.
Risks And Side Effects
Is sugar wax safe? Its safe for most skin types if you follow directions and are careful not to burn yourself.
Note that this recipe works best for softer hair, such as hair on the legs, back and chest.
Most experts caution against sugar waxing areas, such as the underarms or bikini line, where the hair is more coarse. Make sure to test a small area first if you choose to sugar wax in those areas.
The eyebrows may be a challenging area as well. The upper lip may be OK, but please test first.
Regardless, if you are uncertain, work with a professional to perform any waxing, particularly if youve had bad reactions in the past.
Also Check: How To Reduce High Sugar Level Immediately
How Do You Make Honey Cold Wax
You’ll need 1 cup of white, granulated sugar, a quarter of a cup of honey, 2 tablespoons of lemon juice. Add sugar and honey into warm water, and boil over medium heat. Stir the mixture constantly so it doesn’t burn. When you see bubbles coming up to the top, you can reduce the heat to low and continue stirring the mixture. Once the mixture starts turning golden brown, remove the pot from the stove.
Sugar Wax Recipe With An Alternative To Lemon Juice
How to make it:
1. Place the sugar, salt, water, and lime juice in a non-stick pan and turn on the heat. Stir.2. Set the heat to medium heat so that your wax doesnt burn.3. Keep stirring until it starts boiling then stop stirring.4. Let the mixture boil until it begins to turn golden brown.5. Turn off the heat to allow the sugar wax to cool.6. As it cools, pour it into the heat-resistant container and store it in a cool place.
Also Check: How To Reduce Sugar Level Immediately
How To Make Homemade Sugar Wax
Before we jump on how to make sugar wax at home, it would be better if we share with you some important tips that you need to put some attention to.
Here are those tips:
1. You can use both brown sugar or white sugar on making the sugar wax. But, we are strongly recommended for you use white sugar to make it lighter in color when its caramelized in the cooking process.
2. You need to avoid overheating the mixture, just cook it in a simmer. It would be good if you use an electric stove and set it to 4 at the beginning and then lower it to 2.
3. You need to remove the wax immediately while it starts to bubble to avoid overcook it and it will get burn if still on the heat.
4. If you are planning to use it right away, please keep checking on its temperature. Because it can burn your skin.
5. Lastly, if you are not planning to use it right away, then keep it covered in the fridge. It will get harden when you store it, so put it in the microwave for some seconds to melt it and cool it down before applying it.
Honey Sugar Wax Recipe
Sugar wax recipe with honey is easy to make and requires only a couple of ingredients honey, sugar and water.
The best part about it is that you wont have to worry about some nasty chemicals that come with other hair waxing products, as this recipe only includes 100% natural ingredients.
Also Check: Sugar Tablets Side Effects
Potential Risks And Side Effects
Sugar wax is considered generally safe for most skin types if you follow the steps correctly and manage not to burn yourself.
This recipe is considered best for softer hair, like leg, back, and chest hair.
The underarms or bikini line hair are perhaps the most risky areas for using sugar wax since the hair is cruder in those areas. Do a patch test before choosing to sugar wax those areas.
The eyebrows and the upper lip may be problematic as well
Keep in mind, if you are inexperienced with any type of waxing, it might better to look for a professional to perform the waxing, especially if you have a history of negative reactions.
Proper Way Of Using Homemade Wax
You dont want it too drippy because then its probably going to burn you. Make sure that you test this with your fingers before you put it on your body you might start smoothing the glob out and then you notice its way too hot for your skin.
Make sure you test it and dont burn yourself. again apply it in the opposite direction of your hair growth. Put your fabric strip over it press it down for a couple of seconds and then rip off the hair in the direction of your hair growth.
Youll want to make sure that you prep for your sugar waxing by gently exfoliating your skin and making sure that you cleanse the area thoroughly. You dont want to leave any bacteria on your skin because then it can get into your open pores and cause an infection. If you tend to have problems with swelling.
I hope you will like our article on How To Make Homemade Wax | Honey, Lemon, Sugar | Eyebrow. Please share this article with your friends and family.
For More Such Content
Make sure you apply adequate pressure after you rip off your wax. If theres any wax residue left behind you can simply clean it up with a little bit of water. To soothe your skin I would recommend applying something gentle like aloe vera. Make sure you dont have any oils or lotions on your skin before you get started either.
Read Also: Blood Sugar Increase Symptoms
How To Apply It
Step 1. Take out the required amount of your homemade wax in a pan and reheat it for 10 to 20 seconds. But you dont have to reheat it if it is still warm from the cooking. Your homemade wax should be just warm enough to make it stick and lets it spread readily.
Step 2. Use a spatula or a wooden popsicle to spread the wax on the desired area of skin. Spread it in the direction of your hair growth.
Step 3. Place a cloth strip, preferably cotton, over the area where you have just applied wax. Rub it in the direction of your hair growth for a few seconds to make it stick to your skin.
Step 4. Grab the end of the cloth strip and pull it off in the direction opposite to your hair growth in a swift motion.
Step 5. Repeat for other areas until you have removed all unwanted hair.
How To Make Wax For Hair Removal Without Strips
6. Gelatin Wax
Ingredients: 2 tablespoons gelatin, 2 tablespoons raw milk, ½ teaspoon baking soda, 1 teaspoon cucumber juice
How to make homemade wax and apply it: Mix all the ingredients in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave it for a few seconds. Since this DIY wax is heated for only a few seconds, it can be used immediately while it is still warm. You can reheat it in the oven for 2 seconds if needed. Spread this using a brush on the desired area. Let it dry for 10 to 15 minutes. Remove it just like a peel-off mask.
How it works: You can make your own wax using gelatin. The gelatin on drying sticks to the skin and acts as efficient hair removal. Cucumber juice, on the other hand, soothes and rejuvenates the skin. This wax can also be used as a DIY face wax for removal of unwanted facial hair.
7. Cold Wax
Ingredients: ½ cup sugar, ½ cup water, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon lemon juice
How to make homemade wax: Add all the ingredients one by one into a pan. Place it on a medium flame. Once the sugar has melted and the mix becomes frothy, start stirring it till it starts to show honey-like color. Remove from heat and place it in a glass jar. Your homemade wax is ready.
How it works: This DIY wax recipe is for a cold wax. Cold wax is a kind of wax that doesnt have to be heated to be used. All you have to do is to take it out from the container once it has cooled down and smoothen it like dough to use it.
8. Aloe Wax
Don’t Miss: Sugar Increase Symptoms
How Do You Knead Sugar Wax
Its recommended that you knead your homemade sugar wax without lemon juice before you store to avoid the wax becoming as solid as a piece of hard candy. Those who have attempted sugaring may be asking How do you knead sugar wax without ending up in a sticky mess?. Allow for the sugar wax to cool. Once cooled pull apart the sugar wax between both your hands in a stretching motion. The key is to knead with wet hands, but add water sparingly as that is how you can end up in a sticky mess! Once the wax turns opaque its ready to use.
This can be a tricky process and it will take the average person three or four times before they get it right! If you have little patience and need a quick fix we have a recipe that requires no kneading, a true time saver! This recipe is known to make a soft ball and uses water and lemon but can be applied with alternatives too. To follow quantities click on the youtube video below.
- Step 1: Combine your ingredients and put your pan on a medium high heat.
- Step 2: Once the mixture begins to bubble, insert the thermometer.
- Step 3: Cook to 240°F/116°C
- Step 4: Allow to set for seven days.
It’s Super Simple Cheap And Easy
Essentially, sugaring “wax” is just caramel, and is made of only sugar, water, and lemon juice affordable pantry staples that often don’t require an extra trip to the store. Plus, sugar is a natural preservative, making this last a long time so you don’t have to make a new batch every time. As someone who works with oil-based products all the time, I have to add that this stuff cleans up like a dream. Hot water dissolves it. Done. It couldn’t be easier!
You May Like: When To Take Sugar Tablet
How Do You Make Sugaring Wax At Home
Youre now ready to make your own sugaring wax. Fortunately for you, its a simple process that only requires a handful of ingredients you probably already have in your pantry.
To start, get out 1 cup of granulated white sugar, cup of lemon juice, and cup of water. With your ingredients on standby, place a medium-sized pot on the stove. Pour in your sugar first, followed by your liquids take special care to cover all of the sugar and make sure none is sticking to the sides of your pot. Give it a light stir to incorporate the ingredients.
Turn the stove on medium heat, or whatever heat your stove typically requires to bring a liquid to a slow boil. You do not want to make it too hot or the mixture will burn, and you definitely dont want to leave it unattended for any amount of time. Some people are firm believers in stirring the mixture. Others feel that stirring could cause crystallization. This is a judgment call.
Once the mixture turns to a warm, honey-colored hue, take it off the heat. If youre a person who needs more precise guidelines, grab a candy thermometer and pull the mixture from the stove once it hits 240-degrees F. It should have a consistency like hot syrup.
Thats it! Its seriously that easy to make your own sugaring wax.
Benefits Of Honey For Waxing
Using homemade honey wax to depilate is an inexpensive alternative method. Honey can be purchased from the grocery store or supermarket. It is as easily accessible as it is to apply. However, its advantages do not stop there, these are some of the best benefits of using honey for waxing:
- Exfoliates the skin. As well as waxing, honey wax carries away dead the cells that stick to it when removed.
- Opens pores and makes hair removal easier.
- Slows down hair growth as it pulls it out by the roots. Thanks to this, it may take 5-7 weeks to grow back.
- Thins the hair and weakens it after each waxing so that it appears finer.
- Helps to depilate more delicate areas such as the bikini area, the face , thanks to its natural components that do not irritate skin.
- Less irritating and invasive. Due to its composition, honey wax for hair removal protects the skin. The skin does not spend more than 2 minutes being affected and adverse effects are minimal.
- Takes care of the skin. Honey contains mineral salts, amino acids, vitamins , among other valuable compounds. For this reason, it cleanses, protects and nourishes the skin.
While waxing with honey is a great way to help remove unwanted hair, you can also take a look at our article on how to slow hair growth so it doesn’t come back fast.
Also Check: Whether Banana Is Good For Diabetes
Is Sugar Wax Compostable
Sugar wax is compostable as it is water soluble and biodegradable. If made or purchased with reusable strips sugar waxing is also eco-friendly.
To make your sugaring experience eco-friendly, here is a product recommendation for reusable and washable waxing strips:
- Gigi Small Natural Muslin Epilating Strips for Hair Waxing: The 100 strips in this pack are washable and reusable, so no need to toss after every use.
Why Sugar Paste Doesnt Stick To The Skin
Here are a few reasons why your hard sugar wax wont stick to your skin:
- The wax wasnt kneaded enough try to knead it with wet fingers to soften and make it sticky.
- Also, sugar wax will not stick if the skin is wet make sure your skin is thoroughly dry before applying the wax.
Print rate and print this recipe.
You May Like: How To Bring Down Sugar Level Quickly
How To Apply Sugar Wax At Home
If you want to know how to use sugar wax follow the next steps.
1. Apply baby powder on the area you want to wax. This will get rid of any moisture that might prevent the wax from adhering to the hair.
2. Scoop some of the sugar wax and form a mound the size of a golf ball. Apply a thin layer of wax on the skin surface, in the opposite direction that your hair grows.
3. Holding a sturdy wooden wax applicator stick or your hands, spread the wax evenly on the skin to achieve a thickness of about a quarter of an inch.
4. Hold the skin tight and quickly rip the wax off in the direction of your hair growth.
5. If the sugar wax paste is too runny, you need to simmer it a bit longer until it thickens. On the contrary, if it is too hard or sticky, try adding a bit more water while simmering until you get the consistency you want. If you have overcooked the sugar wax, you need to throw it away and make a new batch.
6. Check for any hairs that didnt come off and get rid of them using tweezers.
7. To get rid of the stickiness after waxing, soak a cotton ball in olive oil and rub the area with it until smooth.
Remember you can use the same ball of sugar wax up to 3 or 4 times before discarding it.